Re: [Traverso-devel] Some confirmations for the manual

From: Jonatan Liljedahl
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Some confirmations for the manual
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 20:44:35 +0100

Nicola Doebelin wrote:
> Am Montag, 12. Februar 2007 19:31 schrieb Jonatan Liljedahl:
>>> Thats precisely the point I made lol.
>>> So, if you don't have high end gear, and will only be capable of 16 bit
>>> recordings, it indeed is a waste of hard disk space to save in 32 bit
>>> float format.
>> That's not entirely true... Almost all audio apps save and work
>> internally with 32bit floats to keep the samples intact. The bit depth
>> can be mangled by effects and transformations of different kinds, etc...
>
> Hm, at least in Samplitude it is not even possible to record a format which
> is
> not supported by the hardware. Converting the *raw data* to higher resolution
> is indeed nothing but a waste of disk space. Or do you apply real time
> effects to the incoming signal before writing to disk? That would be very
> brave...

No, I'm talking of offline transformations... Say for example that you
normalize the audio after recording, with a integer format this means
there will be rounding errors which will be interpolated. But with a
float format this doesn't happen, the resolution isn't changed when the
sample values are scaled.

--
/Jonatan    -=( http://kymatica.com )=-