Re: [Traverso-devel] jack transport control

From: Remon
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] jack transport control
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 17:22:50 +0200

Hi,

Thanks all for the feedback!

I've been dubbing how to handle transport control with respect to the record
button, since there are 2 cases, one where traverso handles the transport
control itself, and one where it is a client of jack.

Now as some of you pointed out, the 'default' behavior of applications is to:

1) arm a track
2) set the 'state' of the application to recording by hitting the record
button
3) hit the play button to actually start recording...

In my humble opinion, if the program transport is not controlled from another
application, 2 and 3 can be merged into 1, the state becomes recording, and
the transport starts in one go.
This is how it behaved until now, but adding jack transport control makes this
impossible....

Switching between the behavior "if jack client and transport control enabled,
then hitting the record button only sets the state to recording" and "we
control transport ourselves and hitting the record button start transport
directly" seems like a bad idea.

So, currently (cvs) it behaves in both situation the same, hitting the record
button toggles the state to 'recordable', and you have to hit the spacebar
afterward to actually start recording!

To still have the good things of both worlds, CTRL+ <spacebar> sets the state
to recordable and starts transport! (either being a jack client or not!)

It's in cvs so please test it out, and if you encounter anything strange, let
me know, with a description how to reproduce the problem.
(Due the changes to the audio backend, you _have_ to do a cleancompile!)
Or if you think it should behave differently, let me know too!

Jack transport control is disabled by default, see the Audio Driver config
page, select Jack driver, and check "Enable Jack transport control"

If nothing shows up, I'd like to release this new feature with 0.40.1

Regards,