[Xlog-discussion] Re: [Hamlib-developer] Hamlib, Xlog and IC725

From: Chuck Hemker
Subject: [Xlog-discussion] Re: [Hamlib-developer] Hamlib, Xlog and IC725
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 03:13:42 -0400 (EDT)

I see several ways to solve this problem
(and they should work for most/all radios)

1. You should be able to shut off the CI-V tranceive function in the radio by
either a config menu item on the newer rigs or a jumper or dip switch on the
older rigs.  I know in the IC-R7000 it's a jumper on the CPU board which to get
to you have to open the rig up and remove the top board to get to the CPU board.
I wouldn't recommend this option because on some radios it's difficult and some
people may want to run several difference software packages and some prefer it.

2. Support CI-V tranceive in the software.
This will give a quicker indication of tuning knob changes to the software.
If this is useful depends on the software
You might also be able to either not poll or only poll if you haven't seen
anything for a while with if you do this.

3. Check for errors on commands and retry a few times if you get an error

4. Poll the radio often enough and ignore responses with errors

5. Confirm sets with a read afterwords to make sure the set worked

6. Some combination of the above

With my software I'm working on (for doing satellite doppler correction) uses a
combination of options 2, 4, and 5.

If your confused by this or need anything else feel free to ask.  I'd write
something better but I have to leave for a hamfest in an hour or so.