[Xlog-discussion] Re: XLOG 0.8

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: [Xlog-discussion] Re: XLOG 0.8
Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 11:37:26 +0200

Martin Kratoska wrote:
Hi Joop,

Hello Martin,

tried out the XLOG 0.8. Very good start indeed, congrats on a nice piece of
software. There are some ideas for improvement, only a major thing - if the
XLOG is meant as general logger I'm afraid that use of the "standard" .cty
file is not very good idea, the logger would became unable to offer
reasonable stats.

Yes, this is true. I already have seen several problems with the cty data.

I can contribute to the project with my country tables (probably the most
accurate tables available, I'm creating and maintaining it for some 10
years). There would be some changes in the country recognition algorithm:
- the program must respond to the dates AND compare ithe date with QSO date
(probably you remember the times of VP6 as Barbados but now it is Pitcairn,
there are many such changes of prefix assignation)
- the DXCC status should be determined using an unique identifier (where
many prefixes should be assigned to this identifier).

That would be great! Xlog started out with a simple DXCC table with the first couple of releases. Starting with version 0.8 I have used cty.dat with some additions in a file called xlog.dat, but I already have seem a couple of errors. If we would have reliable country tables, which could actually add log statistics to xlog and some kind of award checking...

Without these changes you would be probably unable to produce a simple WAZ
stats - UA0Y is zone 23, UA0Z is 19 etc. but entering either UA0 or UA9
improper zones are assigned by default . The "standard" .cty file is very
coarse and good for a contest logger only if you entering "actual ones"
only.

BTW I assisted Tony, VE6YP, with his YPLOG. Take a look at this logger if
you find a minute. Missing YPLOG equivalent for Linux/Open source. Any
ideas? Can I help?

Okay, I will have a look at YPLOG, if it is installable under wine (no windows here). We could add your country tables to a future release, version 1.0 would be a good target, since version 0.9 will focus on porting to the GTK+ version 2 libraries.

If you know a bit of programming, you could also send me a patch against xlog :-)

73 Martin, OK1RR
address@hidden
http://www.qsl.net/ok1rr
The difference between theory and practice in theory
is less than the difference between theory and practice in practice.

Thanks,
Joop PA4TU