[Xlog-discussion] Re: XLOG 0.8

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: [Xlog-discussion] Re: XLOG 0.8
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 21:02:20 +0200

Martin Kratoska wrote:
Hello Joop,

find attached the most fresh version of my country table, please. There is
also a brief description of the symbols used in each table. I can't expect
that my poor description is easy to understand. Don't hesitate to ask for
more details if needed, please. Anyway it is a pleasure to help with such
projects like XLOG.

Thanks Martin, much appreciated. I will have a look and contact you if I need help.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that YPLOG won't start under wine. I encountered
some hangups caused by unsuccesful communication with the hardware. You
would need probably a Windows machine to test this logger.

Yes, I noticed this. Maybe I can test it at some machine at the office.

Downloaded also sources of XLOG so I can browse thru the code.

BTW I have still problems with hamlib (regardless if compiled or installed
from rpm) - it won't see my Kenwood TS-950SD on ttyS2 which is on an add-on
card sitting in the ISA slot of the ole Abit BE6 mainboard. Probably I'm
doing something wrong or another HW configuration needed. Still getting
timeouts and "unsuccesful communications". Using Mandrake 9.1.

Did you try using rigctl, wich comes with hamlib? You can test your communication with this little program very easy and also look at the strings passed to your rig:

rigctl -vvvvv -m 213

Next, type 'f' to retrieve the frequency, etc.
If possible, you should set the baud rate of your rig to the highest value available in the rig's menu.

I should be able to help you with this, because I have also done some work for hamlib for the ts-870s. So, if you send me the output of rigctl, I can send you a patch for hamlib.

Let me know if you are interested on some suggestions to improve XLOG. I
have a bit of knowledge (12 yaers) of the most logging software available,
also know quite well the weak points of several programs which should be
avoided. Anyway, I know that the logger should not make the operator busy
because he is concentrated on the band scene :-). Thus, I would appreciate a
more "ergonomic design" allowing a single keystroke operations, without
"mousing" or tricky double-keystrokes (Alt-A etc.). A remappable keyboard is
a very good thing!

Yes, keyboard operation is very important for a logging program. If you read the manual page, you will find some hotkeys which have the same functionality as some of the buttons/menus.

Please feel free to send me comments. You may also want to join the xlog-discussion mailing list. There may be people on the list who you want to share your thoughts with: