Re: [Xlog-discussion] UTF8 support in 0.9cvs, and other wishes

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] UTF8 support in 0.9cvs, and other wishes
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:14:33 +0200

Tomi Manninen wrote:

As I have been playing with this in gmfsk, I'll jump in with a small
warning. The g_locale_to_utf8() call may be a bit dangerous in some situations as the users locale might also be (mis)configured so that
the charset used in the configuration does not accept 8 bit characters
at all. The call then fails if it encounters any 8 bit chars and
returns NULL. This might not be an issue in xlog but it's worth to have good error checking and handling when using it (or use g_convert() with explicit charsets). I learned this the hard way when Carl ported gmfsk to BSD.. :)

Thanks Tomi,

hopefully we will have enough betatesters to get xlog UTF-8 proof.
I have added error checking on log-reading, it prints to the console. I guess I could popup a message window in case things go wrong.

And btw g_locale_to_utf8() allocates the returned string so the
strdup above is not needed.

Oh, and another potential source of problems is filenames. If you have
configurable filenames you need to convert them with g_filename_from_utf8() before using...

Good point, people could use special language characters for lognames and paths.

--
73 de Joop PG4I
ex - PA4TU PA3ABA