Re: [Xlog-discussion] UTF8 support in 0.9cvs, and other wishes

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] UTF8 support in 0.9cvs, and other wishes
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:37:46 +0200

Stephane Fillod wrote:

I still got (only) the following:

** (xlog:4086): WARNING **: Invalid UTF8 string passed to
pango_layout_set_text()
** (xlog:4086): CRITICAL **: file pango-layout.c: line 1715 (pango_layout_get_cursor_pos):
assertion `index >= 0 && index <= layout->length' failed
** (xlog:4086): CRITICAL **: file pango-layout.c: line 1715 (pango_layout_get_cursor_pos):
assertion `index >= 0 && index <= layout->length' failed
** (xlog:4086): CRITICAL **: file pango-layout.c: line 1715 (pango_layout_get_cursor_pos):
assertion `index >= 0 && index <= layout->length' failed
** (xlog:4086): WARNING **: Invalid UTF8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text() (xlog:4086): GLib-CRITICAL **: file gstrfuncs.c: line 1735 (g_ascii_strcasecmp): assertion `s2 != NULL' failed

Everything in the log is fine. However, when I click the "Date" button,
the text in the field date of the QSO window is broken (forgot a call to convert local2utf8?)

Yes you are right, I have fixed this in CVS. The changed file is utils.c.

I've made another test, start "LANG= xlog" or some other LANG.
This gives one "[Invalid UTF-8] Unable to convert '02 ao* 2003' to UTF-8:
Invalid byte sequence in conversion input" error for each string which
contain an accent (in the example, I replaced the accent with a *).

I can provide you with a french log file if needed.

This is correct behaviour. LANG=xlog doesn't know about accents, so UTF-8 conversion fails. I guess we could try to read the date anyway, but it would be broken off: '02 ao', just before the u^. We could use explicit charsets for cases like this like tomi suggested, what do you think?

Fonts are handled by the GTK theme engine. When you use the gnome2 desktop, start up gnome-font-properties. Otherwise, edit ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and add a line like:

gtk-font-name = "Times New Roman 14"

Or whatever. GNOME 2 applies its own settings to GTK2 programs with the gnome-settings-daemon. When the daemon is running, GTK2 programs will use the GNOME settings instead of those present in .gtkrc-2.0.

This tip is great! Thanks. We'll have to put in the release notes.

Will do.

I could remove the close button altogether, so you can close the workedb4 dialog by clicking on the window-close (top-right) X. This will save a lot of space.
Okay about the geometry and startup, will put this in the TODO list.

Maybe another way to close the window would be the very same shortcut
that brought it up.

You got it. Ctrl-w brings up the workedb4 dialog and closes it. Affected files are callbacks_otherdialogs.c, callbacks_otherdialogs.h, callbacks_menu.c and interface.c in CVS.

Congrats for your new call sign. Rein has also got a shorter one.
A friend of mine who's working as a spy in the gov house in Amsterdam
told me the dutch telecom gave those callsigns only to deserving ham fellows.

So, you have friends at intelligence? I should be careful what I say on this list.

73's
Stephane

PS: I have no such friend who's working as a spy, but the involved folks
I was talking about do deserve it ;)

Phew, lucky me.....

Joop
--