Re: [Xlog-discussion] Trying out Xlog 0.9RC2

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Trying out Xlog 0.9RC2
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 20:46:19 +0100

Nate Bargmann wrote:

Hi All.

I just started playing with Xlog this morning (yeah, I'm slowly coming
around to computer logging) begining with 0.8 and now 0.9rc2 (the
GTK+2.0 really looks sharp!).

Hi Nate, thanks for trying the 0.9 release. I am about one week away from the actual release, so your report is just in time :-)

Overall I am pleased and I think this will work well for my day-to-day
logging.  Mostly I want to keep track of QSLs sent received, etc.  I do
have a fair amount of log data on paper and it isn't always in precise
chronological order.  I don't see a way to sort the log data by date
then time on, for example, in Xlog itself.  So, I think a quick 'n dirty
Perl script would be just the thing to do the work.  Looking at the log
file I see that the columns are delimited by multiple space characters.
Has using tabs to delimit the fields been considered (it would make
splitting the line quite easy)?

Currently, there is no way of sorting the log by date. I am a bit unlucky about the date format I have chosen for the xlog date field, as I tend to switch a lot between the English and Dutch language for some reason. If I would sort my log by date, my log would actually be mixed-up instead of being sorted. So I have been postponing log sorting until the next release, so I can think of some solution...

The xlog file format has been chosen this way, because the log-editor will eventually have a second field, which will allow you to adjust the width of the columns in the log. Also, the very first versions of xlog was a kind of twlog clone with a gtk interface added and some extra columns, so I was stuck with the file format. Again, if I would start all over, I would probably chose some other format, maybe ADIF would be best. Having said this, it will probably be a piece of cake changing the default format for future xlog versions, as ADIF is already supported.

Second, I seem to have found a bug in the printing output.  When I
printed my short log, one column heading was shifted to the right and
the far right column heading ended up in the NR column on the next line.
Joop, if you'd like I can send you my log file and the resulting .ps
file as they are both rather small (23 QSOs at this point).

Yes, same problem here. Last time I checked it was okay, so a bug must have slipped in between releases. Should be easy to fix.

I look forward to working with this software as well.

73, de Nate >>

Thanks,

Regards,
Joop PG4I