Re: [Xlog-discussion] Query old qso data

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Query old qso data
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 19:48:39 +0100

Tomi Manninen wrote:

Hi Joop, folks,

While discussing and exchanging ideas about the latest gmfsk beta with Wolf DL2WRJ, I had an idea that might be cool but requires support from Xlog...

Having filled the callsign box in gMFSK, it would be nice to be able to query name, qth, locator etc. data from Xlog by clicking a button in
gMFSK. I'm not sure but I guess the worked b4 feature could be used to
do this.

Transferring the data from Xlog to gMFSK is another issue. I'm not sure
the current IPC based system would extend very well to two way
communication (possibly with multiple clients). Or do you have any ideas?

I was thinking that maybe it would be better to create a TCP or Unix
sockets based protocol for this. Powerfull and extensible enough to
potentially cover at least some future requirements as well. Simple
Logging Protocol (SLP) ... :)

This would be the third method for remote logging in Xlog, I know... :(

Hi Tomi,

sounds like a good idea and probably a better idea than the IPC stuff anyway. Maybe we should think about migrating to a TCP-based in the near future, having a 2-way protocol will certainly give us more possibilities. I can already think about running applications om 2 machines and exchanging data over a TCP link.

I could pursue this if people thinks it's worth it. What I was thinking
was a simple client-server protocol. Logging would be done in a connect, (optionally authenticate), send or ask for data, disconnect
conversation. Meaning the connection lives only for the time of one
data exchange. This way the implementation on both ends could be a
simple blocking non-threaded one (the first implementation anyway).

Good. Please feel free to write a proposal, send me a patch or whatever. If things work out okay, we can distribute xlog-0.9.1 with the updated data exchange.

Or does TLF perhaps already have something that could be used here?

Don't think so.

Regards,
Joop