Re: [Xlog-discussion] idea for usability

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] idea for usability
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:14:42 +0100

Eric S. Johansson wrote:
I was talking with a friend of mine who is blind (ky1b) and he was lamenting the inability to use spots with his screen reader specially during contests. It struck me that the problem wasn't with the screen reader but with the user interface he had for viewing and accessing spots.

I started thinking that if he had a dial like a radio dial, instead of hearing signals from the air, he heard instead speech reading out call signs and may be frequencies of the spots, he could then use a simple to button interface on top of that dial to move his radio to that spot frequency and then record the entry in the log automagically.

Thinking about a way to simulate this, one could use the scroll wheel on a mouse to simulate the tuning dial on the spot display and left mouse button could trigger the radio frequency movement and the right button would load the log entry.

It's just a rough idea but it strikes me that it's also much friendlier for sighted people as well.

---eric

Hi Eric,

first of all, thanks for your ideas.

Right now, the log program merely records frequency, mode and signal strength instead of controlling the radio. I guess your ideas would require a major rewrite (if I understand correctly what you are saying) and exchange of data between xdx (you are talking about spots, I guess you mean dx-spots) and xlog.

I have a rather long TODO list, but it won't hurt adding your wished to this list...

Regards,
Joop PG4I