Re: [Xlog-discussion] xlog problems

From: Matt Dawson
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] xlog problems
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:28:39 +0100

On Monday 11 Apr 2005 02:41, brian wrote:
> Have a Kenwood TS-940 connected.  It reads the freq, but
> it doesn't understand modes at all.  I have to manually change
> them.

This is most likely to be a problem with the TS-940 back end. Does rigctl show
the correct mode with the "m" command from the CLI? The TS-940S back end is
Alpha quality. Chances are you won't be able to get the frequency from the
radio when it is set to memory rather than VFO because the radio understands
the old Kenwood protocol and hamlib is trying to use the new, usually because
that radio wasn't available when the back-end was made. In this case, the get
routines have to be altered to get their information from the IF; string
rather than the commands it is trying to use at the moment.

> When I log, I get "14" for the band.  I'd like "14.014.2" or something
> similar.

That's why it's called band and not frequency. You would have to speak to Joop
to change this behaviour.

> xlog doesn't change bands when I change bands on the rig.  Nor
> will the rig change bands when I change it on xlog.

Click the clickable button next to the band dialogue/drop-down. This sets the
band to the information from the radio, I.E. the band dialogue will update to
whatever the radio is set to. Xlog reads information from the radio, it does
not send hamlib commands. To do this, you need to use Grig or similar and set
up rpc.rigd to allow both programs to access the radio at once.

> The frequency shows correctly from hamlib on the bottom of the
> page.

Then you have poll rig set correctly in the settings. This does not update the
band box automatically, though, for a very good reason. You only want the
band to set on the current QSO. If it happened automatically, you would be
setting the band on completed QSOs every time you view them with the radio
switched on. Bad idea.

> My rig clock is set to UTC.  I notice the logging program decided
> that UTC is on daylight savings time and subtracts an hour from
> my computer time to my log time.  Not really what I want my log
> to do.

This is probably a time zone issue in that Linux thinks you are in the UK. Set
your CMOS clock to UTC and your time zone to your actual location and Xlog
will log in UTC. The best way to do this is to use ntpd to sync your CMOS
clock. linux will then sort DST out automatically. I could tell you exactly
how to do this on FreeBSD, but with the distro you're using you'll probably
have to refer to the man pages.

--
Matt Dawson.

address@hidden