Re: [Xlog-discussion] xlog problems

From: brian
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] xlog problems
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:17:28 +0100

Matt Dawson wrote:

On Monday 11 Apr 2005 02:41, brian wrote:
Have a Kenwood TS-940 connected.  It reads the freq, but
it doesn't understand modes at all.  I have to manually change
them.

This is most likely to be a problem with the TS-940 back end. Does rigctl show the correct mode with the "m" command from the CLI?
rigctl -m 211  then "m" it returns mode:  LSB,  Passband:  2400.
Rig is on CW!  The "f" command returns the proper freq.

The TS-940S back end is Alpha quality. Chances are you won't be able to get the frequency from the radio when it is set to memory rather than VFO because the radio understands the old Kenwood protocol and hamlib is trying to use the new, usually because that radio wasn't available when the back-end was made. In this case, the get routines have to be altered to get their information from the IF; string rather than the commands it is trying to use at the moment.

When I log, I get "14" for the band.  I'd like "14.014.2" or something
similar.

That's why it's called band and not frequency. You would have to speak to Joop to change this behaviour.

The screenshots from the website show a fully displayed frequency
under the "band" column, which is what I'd like.

xlog doesn't change bands when I change bands on the rig.  Nor
will the rig change bands when I change it on xlog.

Click the clickable button next to the band dialogue/drop-down. This sets the band to the information from the radio, I.E. the band dialogue will update to whatever the radio is set to. Xlog reads information from the radio, it does not send hamlib commands. To do this, you need to use Grig or similar and set up rpc.rigd to allow both programs to access the radio at once.

The frequency shows correctly from hamlib on the bottom of the
page.

Then you have poll rig set correctly in the settings. This does not update the band box automatically, though, for a very good reason. You only want the band to set on the current QSO. If it happened automatically, you would be setting the band on completed QSOs every time you view them with the radio switched on. Bad idea.

My rig clock is set to UTC.  I notice the logging program decided
that UTC is on daylight savings time and subtracts an hour from
my computer time to my log time.  Not really what I want my log
to do.

This is probably a time zone issue in that Linux thinks you are in the UK. Set your CMOS clock to UTC and your time zone to your actual location and Xlog will log in UTC. The best way to do this is to use ntpd to sync your CMOS clock. linux will then sort DST out automatically. I could tell you exactly how to do this on FreeBSD, but with the distro you're using you'll probably have to refer to the man pages.

I've had my computer set to UTC from the get go.  I don't see anywhere
to set my local time. As far as this computer is concerned, local time is UTC.