Re: [Xlog-discussion] Documentation format: TeX, HTML, PDF & DocBook

From: Jon K Hellan
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Documentation format: TeX, HTML, PDF & DocBook
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 21:53:10 +0200

Alexandru Csete wrote:
Quoting Jacob Anawalt <address@hidden>:
Joop Stakenborg wrote:
I would like to stay away from any gnome dependencies if we don't really
need it, libgnomeprint2.2 was introduced to xlog being a helpful
printing API, but it will be removed in some future xlog version because
the latest GTK+ now supports printing.

While I appreciate integration and consistency in a desktop environment I also understand and respect making light-weight apps. No reason to pursue docbook at the moment then.

Having the user manual in docbook xml does not lock you to any desktop
environment (or OS for that matter). It just happens that the Gnome help
browser, yelp, uses dockbook xml as its native format. Docbook xml can be
converted to many other formats like html, pdf, rtf, or even windows help.
Conversion from docbook xml is a heavyweight process. It is done on the fly each time yelp is invoked. I would advise against using it. It made help in Gnumeric practically unusable. Of course, that manual is orders of magnitude larger.

73
Jon