[Xlog-discussion] gmfsk and xlog

From: Jan Ditzian
Subject: [Xlog-discussion] gmfsk and xlog
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 21:20:18 -0500

This question is about gMFSK, but I cannot find a discussion group for that, so if someone can point me to the right place, I would appreicate it.

This is my second installation of xlog, on a different computer. In my first install, both gmfsk and xlog worked fine, but that computer had a serial port. This new computer does not have a serial port, and I am using USB0 to talk to the radio from xlog. I have a serial cable coming out of my Ten-Tec Omni VI, and a serial-to-USB converter following that to the computer. I have xlog working, and it reads frequency and mode data from the radio using Hamlib, with Device set to /dev/ttyUSB0. gMFSK does not have this choice, but I changed one of the entries to this value. It does not work.

I have Hamlib in gMFSK set to use real frequencies in waterfall and to use Hamlib PTT. Neither of these work. When I try to transmit, I get the popup message: sound_open_for_write: opensnd: open: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy. This happens whether or not xlog is running.

Furthermore, when I start gMFSK, I receive the following two error messages, whether or not xlog is running.

Message 1:
Hamlib init: rig_set_ptt failed: Communication bus error.
Hamlib PTT disabled

Message 2:
Hamlib init: rig_get_freq failed: Communication bus error

Does anyone know whether gMFSK will work with a USB port to the device, and, if so, how I should set it up? Both use Hamlib, so I assume that it is possible.

As I said at first, if there is a more appropriate place to take this question, please point me there.

Jan, KX2A