ac-archive-maintainers

Re: The Policy(tm)

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: The Policy(tm)
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 22:58:40 +0100

Peter Simons schrieb:
Russ Allbery writes:

 > You're unwilling to accept macros that are under the
 > advertising-free BSD license or that are declared to be in the
 > public domain by the author?

Oh my ... If there ever was a political issue, this would be it. :-|
Personally, I couldn't care less whether the macros are licensed under
the GPL, the BSD license, or the communist manifesto. But I have the
distinct feeling that Richard Stallman will freak out when he realizes
that there is non-GPL content (gasp!) on www.gnu.org.

No, that's okay as long (a) it is marked specifically and (b) if it
is not gpl-compatible then a link to the license-faq is given :-)=)

gpl-compatibility should be however maintained as requirement for
technical reasons (inclusion in aclocal.m4 and configure output).
..  -- guido

So far, no submitter ever even mentioned this issue, so I guess that
the path of least resistance would be to stick to the GPL. Even worse,
once we permit different licenses, it is IMHO totally unclear how that
macro would mix with the rest of the Autoconf suite since the GPL
(under which Autoconf is licensed) does not tolerate another license
next to it.

Furthermore, having all content under a _single_ license -- and that
would be the GPL then -- makes the whole thing easier to grasp for
both the maintainers and the users.

 > Also, I assume that you don't mean the GPL proper [...] and you
 > instead mean GPL plus the Autoconf exception?

Right. I'll fix that ASAP.

Peter