accessibility

Re: [Accessibility] Call to Arms

From: Willem van der Walt
Subject: Re: [Accessibility] Call to Arms
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:54:40 +0200 (SAST)

Hi Bill,
I think that those of us who are serious about a11y on none-proprietary
platforms and also understand the four freedoms as stated by the FSF will
end up working together anyway.
The four essential freedoms:
     * The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
     * The freedom to study how the program works, and change it to make it do
       what you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition
       for this.
     * The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
       (freedom 2).
     * The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements (and
       modified versions in general) to the public, so that the whole community
       benefits (freedom 3). Access to the source code is a precondition for
       this.

I am sure that the people writing NVDA does understand these freedoms.
For those not in the know, NVDA is an open-source screen reader for
Windows.

Practicality does come in at some point.
The two most usable OCR engines that is free of cost, open-source and run
under Linux/UNIX is not released under the GNU GPL license, but I will use
that rather than buying a proprietary package to do the same job better.
The front-end that I wrote for scanning and OCR does however also support
ocrad, a package released under GNU GPL  license.
If OCRAD ever gets to the point where it is as usable as cuneiform or
tesseract, I will be more happy to use ocrad, but for now it is not quite
there.
If I scanned/OCRed a lot, I might have tried sending problem images to the
ocrad people.

On another list this morning, I saw a message from someone who looked for
another Spanish voice to use under Vinux because as he stated, "espeak
Spanish just does not cut it for me." What I feel this person should do,
is to get him a voice that "cuts it " for him, but then also contribute to
improving Espeak Spanish.
One problem in the disability field is that people are so used to the fact
that they have to wait for some company to fix/improve some product, that
they struggle to realize that they, even as users, can do a lot to improve
things if they use open-source.

As maintainer of the Afrikaans language for Espeak, I have asked users of
that software many times to send me words that are pronounced incorrectly,
but only a few actually does that.
It is as if it is too good to be true to believe that you can do that and
can get your own little miss-pronunciation fixed.

It is worth mentioning that the biggest contributer of rules/fixes for the
Espeak Afrikaans, is a Windows user.
Although I do not ever see him use another platform, he changed from a
person complaining that no one did anything proper to produce an
Afrikaans voice synthesizer into someone who realized that he could do
something about it.
Without his contribution, the Afrikaans would never have been as good as
it is today.

I hope i make some sense.
Kind regards, Willem