adonthell-artwork

Re: [Adonthell-artwork] first real map gfx

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] first real map gfx
Date: 16 Mar 2002 09:56:22 +0100

> We'll have to see if that would look better perhaps. Right now it looks
> as if the water was pretty deep. While that is okay, there should be a
> more shallow zone along the shore. Let's try a pic: right now it looks
> more or less like this:          ___________
>    River  |
>   ________|
>
> Maybe you could make it more like this:
>              _________
>             /
>    River  /
>   ______/
>
> So the transition between the grass and river won't be that abrupt.

If I can do all that I want with the map engine (provided we decide to
stick to the proposals Kai and I have made about the Z offset and how
objects supports characters that are on them), maybe even the transition
could be real on the map - and the character would progressively enter
into the water. Would be great! :)

> There is one additional thing that speaks for seperating water and
> ground tiles. You could vary the ground somewhat (sand or mud at some
> places), or add some additional objects like seeweed or even fishes. I
> think that would be the thing to do for most parts. Use a small number
> of ground tiles that can be customized by additional objects. For the
> grass that could be patches of flowers or mushrooms. Or the odd tree of
> course. That our terrain won't look too uniform and repetetive without
> the need of that many gfx.

Right. And anyway, if we want characters to be knee-deep in the water,
we got to make it actually translucent, so why not adding others objects
too.

Oh, will be a busy weekend again! :)
Alex.
--