adonthell-artwork

Re: [Adonthell-artwork] Wall names revisted

From: James Nash
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] Wall names revisted
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 16:28:38 +0100

Kai and I chatted about this on IRC the other day, but for the benefit of this
mailing list:

Basically, at a minimum, there is no need to provide separate T and X models
(which combine the appropriate corner pieces) since these can be composed out
of the corner models. However, for the convenience of map designers it's a good
idea to make them.

This then lead into a discussion about adding some functionality to allow
grouping of models in the tools. T & X shaped wall pieces could then be a model
group of the relevant corner models. This sort of thing would also be useful
when moving groups of models (like a house) around on a map.

As for naming, I suppose the existing scheme can still be used for such pieces.
For example, a T piece consisting of the ins-IBL & ins-IBR pieces would become
a ins-IBx. An X piece consisting of all the corners could then be ins-Ixx.

With that settled, I've gone ahead and made a set of template gfx & models for
both inside & outside walls. These are in wastesedge repo here:

gfx48/map/wall/inside/template/
models48/map/wall/inside/template/

gfx48/map/wall/outside/template/
models48/map/wall/outside/template/

There's a README.txt in the respective gfx directories with some instructions.
I'll also refer to these when I get around to updating the wiki.

I then moved on to breaking up my existing wall gfx into inside & outside
graphics. This is now mostly done and in the repo. The main exception is the
roof gfx which I'll get on to soon.

        - James