advocate

[Advocate Play Ogg] Cowon's can be set for MTP OR MSC and work on Linux.

From: Jon T
Subject: [Advocate Play Ogg] Cowon's can be set for MTP OR MSC and work on Linux.
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 01:48:39 -0600

Bob,

I am writing this in response to your posting that is listed below my response.
Thank you so much for your comments.
I especially want to thank you for your remarks
"I can appreciate how they are born out of trying to inject a bit of
humour into an often incredibly frustrating situation where one is often
fighting a long uphill battle against some very powerful and entrenched
interests."
What you are saying is so true, especially if one is aware how the market works and
understand the propaganda that Microsoft/Apple do in their marketing and forcing other companies
and online and paper magazines to write what they want them to write, as well as have retail stores
sell only what they want them to sell.  This is not some conspiracy thing, all companies, by law, have one
job, to make profits for their stockholders. Problems in the open market system occurs when the markets
get totally dominated by the monopolistic control of the market. Then innovation dies, customer oriented
marketing, support  and development dies. Then the monopolies/oligopolies also wind up controlling all of
the distribution channels as well. It makes it impossible to compete.
Microsoft/Apple play dirty because they can !!

PLEASE be reassured the Cowon users have a choice, and make their own setting
on whether to use MTP or MSC. MSC would be the one for Unix users, as well as the mode that I
use.
On my cute little IAudio U3, the same two transfer modes are there, but what is MSC on the D2 is called
UMB on my IAudio U3.

If someone wanted a portable audio player that has great quality, but not all of the features and file capacity
and battery capacity (20 hours), of the the IAudio U7 and the D2, the IAudio U3, like the one I have still plays
great and supports FLAC (Free Loseless Audio Codec) and not to mention
MP3, OGG, WMA and WAV format.
The U3 was the first portable player in the world to ever support FLAC.
A new IAudio U3 with 4gbs of internal flash sells at Amazon currently for $103.00. 2gbs of flash
will seel for about $85.

There are plenty of Linux users that are active on the best place for support and ideas,
the iAudiophile.net forums. http://iaudiophile.net/forums/ .

I have the Cowon D2 that has 8gbs of internal flash and since it has a SD slot, I also have a 8gb SDHC card in it as well.
I personally would NOT get a portable player that has a hard drive in it. I think Flash memory is extremely reliable and there are
no parts to break.
The file transfers with a PC extremely fast.

Since the D2 supports Flash, people are starting to create some custom Flash apps, installing and sharing them with others.

There is a forum on the Cowon.com site, but I think the Audiophile forum has more activity and certainly more technical people who are
doing all sorts of things and sharing them. For example, I just downloaded some better looking Fonts that a member created and shared.

To make sure that you understand what you are getting, don't be afraid to post a pre-sale tech support email to Cowon or a post on the
iAudiophile forums.

I have to tell you, the bottom line for me is the quality of the audio and the flexbility to play Divx videos and plug in either my SDHC card
or my D2 to my stand alone DVD player or directly to a TV. Of course the support for Ogg and Flac is al essential.

I think that some people get stuck on little teenie auxillary issues that really are about the users becoming flexible with a new device.

I would like to hear about other players that support Ogg as well.

Don't forget to send correspondance to the people like Creative, Samsung, etc and ask them if they support Ogg (FLAC as well is nice).
Then if they answer no, it is always good to say, "That's too bad, why don't you support it.". I going to have to purchase a Cowon then, or whatever
other portable player supports open source codecs.

Funny thing is that I have seen some peole who created some firmware to add to the Ipods to allow for Ogg playing. I have NO idea if it works
or not. I would recommend supporting only those companies that are more customer oriented and have the Ogg decoders, native to the product.

Jon