advocate

[Advocate Play Ogg] Tactics

From: Gervase Markham
Subject: [Advocate Play Ogg] Tactics
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 17:25:16 -0700

I didn't realise this mailing list was for discussion rather than announcements. That being so, I thought I'd circulate an email I sent to Matt Lee when I first got emailed about this campaign. I'd be interested to know what people think.

Gerv

Hi Matt,

I'm a great supporter of encouraging people to play Ogg. I bought a portable music player that could play Ogg, and my entire music collection is encoded that way. But I think you've missed something important here.

People don't like changing media players (or any software, for that matter). And it's a fact that VLC is less capable than something like Windows Media Player, which many people use. It doesn't have the integration with portable devices, online stores and so on. If you want people to switch their media playing to VLC so they can play Ogg, you are facing a very stiff battle.

So consider this: RMS seems to think it's fine to license a library under e.g. a BSD licence rather than the GPL in order to get widespread adoption of a particular standard that it implements. It's a case of adapting your tactics in order to reach your goals.

If that's true, I would suggest you would do much better, for downloaders on Windows, to point them at the DirectShow codecs from http://www.xiph.org/dshow/. (Leaving aside the fact that that page is a UI disaster; you'd need your own download site.) That way, you achieve your goal of getting them to play Ogg without making them switch media player to something which is less featureful.

Installing the codecs automatically enables Ogg for everything which uses the media framework - browser plugins, any media players they have, whatever. No need to switch, change UIs, recreate playlists, etc. etc.

Yes, they would be still using proprietary software. But making an enormous effort to get people to switch from WMP to VLC while they are still running an entire proprietary operating system seems like straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel. If your primary goal is to get people to play Ogg, make that your goal. If your primary goal is to get people to run a complete free software media player, make that your goal. But you can't have both as primary goals, because the best tactics in each case are different.

Also, from a UI point of view, compare:
http://www.playogg.org/
with
http://www.getfirefox.com/

Which front page is most likely to get you to download the software it's promoting?

Hope that's useful feedback :-)

Gerv