[aspell-devel] Newbie Question re: HTTP access to Aspell

From: A Boy Called 3
Subject: [aspell-devel] Newbie Question re: HTTP access to Aspell
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:43:03 -0500

Hi,

I'm very impressed with Aspell. I've used programs that used it in the past,
but never used it directly until last week. I'm providing suggestions and (near
useless) bits of code to Adam Newbold, who's developing the outstanding open
source Pages CMS/site engine:

http://www.neatnik.net/pages/

We've adapted Chris Snyder's superb spellcheck.php (
http://chxo.com/scripts/spellcheck.php ), which uses Aspell, as a Pages plugin.
However, some hosts don't have Aspell on their servers and refuse to install it
(1&1 is one of them, as I've discovered the hard way--and I've been hammering
at them via email).

So here's my shot at a second best option: is it possible to link to
aspell.net/suggest/ (or some other hosted Aspell solution) via http from within
a php script like Chris Snyder's spellecheck or Adam's adaptation of it? If it
is possible, is it bad form or inadvisable or unfair? My goal is to promote all
the good work done on Aspell, not flood someone's servers or compromise
anyone's efforts in any other way.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Brett