Re: [aspell-devel] aspell 0.60 prezip.c & compress.c improvements

From: Jose Da Silva
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] aspell 0.60 prezip.c & compress.c improvements
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:05:37 -0700

Further improvement:

Instead of:
      /* Remove trailing Carriage Returns from input word-list */
      if (c != EOF) {                   <-(original suggestion)
        if (CRtest1stLine) {

please change it to:
      /* Remove trailing Carriage Returns from input word-list */
      if (c == '\n') {                  <--(changed improvement)
        if (CRtest1stLine) {

This means fewer tests for '\r','\n', which means a speed improvement over my
original suggestion.   :-)

Hi Kevin,
I notice that 'compress.c' compresses words even if words are seperated by
spaces, yet 'prezip.c' compresses lines, for example:

compress -c <'this will be separated by compress but not prezip'
result =
this
will
be
separated
by
compress
but
not
prezip

prezip -z <'this will be separated by compress but not prezip'
result = 'this will be separated by compress but not prezip'

Is the above compression differences on purpose?
(reason I bring it up is there are a couple more suggested improvements for
prezip, ....that's if you want them).

thanks.