[aspell-devel] aspell C API

From: Justin Ryan
Subject: [aspell-devel] aspell C API
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:10:40 -0500

Hola,

I have been working on a python wrapper for the GNU Aspell C APIs. To date, I seem to have a basic bit of functionality surrounding AspellConfig and AspellSpeller, but noticed some classes/interfaces in aspell.h which are not documented and could (perhaps) be useful to me and my users.

The most outstanding example that I see is the DocumentSpeller. I was originally planning to write something like this in python, but now hope to make yours available to python. I noticed some other undocumented structures which seemed as if they may be internally used by AspellSpeller, AspellConfig, and DocumentSpeller, i.e.:

  - AspellMutableContainer
  - AspellKeyInfo
  - AspellDictInfo
  - AspellModuleInfo

I'm not exactly sure (yet) what these guys do or are for, and probably won't implement anything which lets me talk to them from Python unless I find that it is advantageous somehow.

In any case, I thought that perhaps you guys could extend me a small bit of help - at least with the DocumentSpeller class. Also, I'm not sure why - but if I try to do anything with the return values of:

  aspell_speller_store_replacement()
  aspell_speller_add_to_personal()
  aspell_speller_add_to_session()

Python dies with a Bus Error. For the time being, I am discarding the return - but that just feels like bad news. ;)

If you could clear up a few minor points for me, I may be able (and am definitely willing!) to help extend the documentation for aspell. I was also planning on writing a paper or article of some sort on the trials and tribulations of developing this module. ;)

pyaspell should be hosted at savannah soon, but the latest source can be found at http://jryan.gerf.org/pyaspell-0.5.tbz2.

Cheers!

-=JR