Re: [aspell-devel] aspell C API

From: Justin Ryan
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] aspell C API
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:04:02 -0500

On Oct 19, 2004, at 5:14 PM, Kevin Atkinson wrote:

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Justin Ryan wrote:

The most outstanding example that I see is the DocumentSpeller.  I was
originally planning to write something like this in python, but now
hope to make yours available to python.  I noticed some other
undocumented structures which seemed as if they may be internally used
by AspellSpeller, AspellConfig, and DocumentSpeller, i.e.:

If it is in the "aspell.h" header file than it is fair fell free to use
it as it is part of the public interface. Internal structures and such are
not exported via the "aspell.h" header file.

I was going to list some structures that I don't understand, but perhaps a general question would be more appropriate:

What sort of facilities are provided by libaspell, but not available via:

  AspellConfig
  AspellSpeller
  DocumentSpeller

I suppose I could wrap up the other interfaces without knowing what they are, but that seems silly. I'm going to want to provide my users with docstrings more descriptive than:

"""
  I dunno wtf this does, have fun!
"""

;)

In any case, I thought that perhaps you guys could extend me a small
bit of help - at least with the DocumentSpeller class.  Also, I'm not
sure why - but if I try to do anything with the return values of:

   aspell_speller_store_replacement()
   aspell_speller_add_to_personal()
   aspell_speller_add_to_session()

Python dies with a Bus Error.  For the time being, I am discarding the
return - but that just feels like bad news. ;)

I really don't know why also as the return value is just an int to
indicate if the operation was successful.

Wierd - I thought the same, but am no C/C++ guru and thought I may have missed something.. Perhaps, if I have some time, gdb will answer this question for me/us.

If you could clear up a few minor points for me, I may be able (and am
definitely willing!) to help extend the documentation for aspell.  I
was also planning on writing a paper or article of some sort on the
trials and tribulations of developing this module. ;)

I will gladly expect patched to the documentations. Just be sure you modify
the texinfo source (*.texi).

Will do..

Cheers!

-=JR