[aspell-devel] Testing new dictionary for Oriya

From: Gora Mohanty
Subject: [aspell-devel] Testing new dictionary for Oriya
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 20:38:46 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,
  I have developed a new aspell dictionary for Oriya,
an Indian language in Unicode, following the
instructions in aspell-lang/README and the Bengali
example. The dictionary is in a rudimentary state,
without support for advanced feature like sounds-like.
Everything seems to be working fine, and the
dictionary was compiled and installed correctly, and
"aspell dump dicts" shows a dictionary for the
language, or. Using a simple UTF-8 test file with
"env LANG=or_IN aspell -c test.utf8" running in
gnome-terminal seems to work fine. The only problem
is that the words are not displayed correctly due to
problems with the underlying gnome-terminal. Is anyone
aware of an aspell interface that can correctly
display Unicode? I am going to try the latest gedit
spellchecker plugin tomorrow.
  Incidentally, I am part of the IndLinux project
(http://indlinux.org) and hope to introduce at least
such rudimentary dictionaries for the other Indian
languages (Bengali is already there) in Unicode,
provided I can get wordlists from my colleagues.

Regards,
Gora

P.S. Incidentally, some links from the homepage at
     http://aspell.net give a 403 forbidden error,
     including the "Manual", "Supported Links" and
     "Devel Docs" links.