[aspell-devel] suggestion algorithm

From: Karl Chen
Subject: [aspell-devel] suggestion algorithm
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:40:25 -0700

Hi, I find for some words aspell makes uncharacteristically bad
suggestions.

I typed "decipehr".  The top 20 suggestions (alphabetically):

    Cipro
    Desirae
    Desiree
    Desiri
    Diaspora
    dapperer
    desire
    despair
    despairs
    despise
    despite
    despoiler
    despot
    diaspora
    disappear
    disciple
    dispel
    drapery
    sprier
    tempera

I think "decipher" , a one-character transposition (edit distance
of 1) should be a better suggestion than any of these 20, but at
least in the top 10.  "Decipjer" has the same problem.

For comparison, ispell's first and only suggestion for both of
these typos is "decipher".  Aspell rocks for bad spellers at the
expense of bad typists?

For some typos like "decioher" and "decopher", aspell suggests
perfectly.  Is it an issue of an incomplete keyboard definition?
'h' and 'j' are right next to each other, but regardless,
replacements by letters not next to each other should be offered
as suggestions anyway.

--
Karl 2005-10-19 19:20