[AUCTeX-devel] Where to place preview.sty in RPM files and similar?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Where to place preview.sty in RPM files and similar?
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 17:33:36 +0200

Hi,

our last RPM files for RedHat have moved the LaTeX style files to
/usr/local/ in order to avoid a package conflict with teTeX-3.0.

What do you think we should do with regard to the files in the next
release?

a) place them in /usr/local.  Downside: /usr/local/ really is intended
for the user, not for packages.

b) place them to the side in the Emacs tree.  Downside: things will
look different when using Emacs+preview-latex, or otherwise.

We already have the same problem with xemacs-packages and
site-packages, since we have to evade conflicting with outdated AUCTeX
installations from a Sumo tarball.  I am not even sure this works: I
would imagine that the xemacs-packages startup file might still get
loaded.  Ugh.

Ideas, proposals?