Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: doc/wininstall.texi

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: doc/wininstall.texi
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 19:06:41 +0200

Christian Schlauer <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I have taken a first stab of integrating the installation information
>> for AUCTeX/preview-latex (preview/doc/wininstall.texi and
>> preview/doc/install.texi are slated for removal), at first for
>> Windows, also integrating several suggestions and feedback.
>>
>> If you can find things of dubious quality/usefulness in there, please
>> report back.
>
> I saw that you took my formulation, but you kept the word `slower':
> `[User needs MinGW or Cygwin ...] The latter is slower and larger
> [...]'.
>
> I reformulated that, partly because I didn't like the `slower'. What
> is meant with that? Does it execute slower, or is the download
> slower, or ...?

Like in "execution of the tools is slow as molasses".

> I have nothing to do with the Cygwin project besides that I use it,
> but in my opinion the word `slower' makes Cygwin look bad, and I
> don't think it deserves that.

The tools _are_ quite slower, and yes, that makes them look bad.
Complain to Cygwin, but given all the emulation layers they use, it is
unlikely that this will change.  That is _very_ noticeable when you
are using Cygwin Emacs/XEmacs as compared to the native compilations.

> I (and probably the first-time AUCTeX user, too) don't understand
> what `slower' means. `Larger' means that the download will take
> longer, so that is something I understand. But slower?

Benchmark and compare to MSYS.