Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Use `C-q $' to force a dollar

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Use `C-q $' to force a dollar
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 01:37:56 +0100

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2005-12-01) writes:
>
>> ( blablabla ]
>>
>> It just outputs "Mismatched parentheses" in the echo area, and that's
>> it.  The character still gets inserted.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Would be fine with me.  Having a cursory look at changes in tex.el
> this would probably be the same behavior AUCTeX exhibited before
> June 1998 modulo the warning message, see `cvs diff -u -r5.161
> -r5.162'.

Would you trust your grasp of the situation enough to do the change?

> In addition it would be nice if show-paren-mode indicated matched
> and mismatched math togglers.

I am not sure whether we'd have suitable hooks into that mode.  Would
this require advising functions?

> By the way, dollar matching as done by `TeX-insert-dollar' is a
> little bit off kilter in cases like
>
> \begin{verbatim}
> $ ls
> \end{verbatim}
> <-- insert $ here

As long as the consequences are harmless (and beeping and doubling
some other dollar don't count as that in my book), it would probably
not be too important.