Re: [AUCTeX-devel] install AUCTeX as an off xemacs-pkg

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] install AUCTeX as an off xemacs-pkg
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 14:36:03 +0100

   David> You are confusing targets and options.  It is quite unclear
   David> what you are talking about.
   >>

   >> You are right. What I mean is, what target in the Makefile(s)
   >> correspond(s) to the option --without-texmf-dir (for the ./configure
   >> run)

   David> Well, I mentioned several times that the Makefile target
   David> "xemacs-package" is used for the configuration and building
   David> of XEmacs packages and even quoted the respective Makefile
   David> rule in the last mail.  I doubt I can be of much more help
   David> than that.

But the target xemacs-package does not help me, since it uses
./configure!

xemacs-package:
        rm -rf xemacs-build
        cp -a auctex-$(TAG) xemacs-build
        cd xemacs-build \
        && ./configure ... --without-texmf-dir
--with-auto-dir=etc/auctex/auto
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Etc. I *cannot* use configure for a official xemacs-pkg. I have to copy
the relevant targets in the Makefile manually.

   David> It is explained in the documentation.  I quote from INSTALL:

   David> `--with-texmf-dir=/DIR
   David>      --without-texmf-dir'
   David>      This option is used for specifying a TDS-compliant directory
   David>      hierarchy.  Using `--with-texmf-dir=/DIR' you can specify where
   David>      the TeX TDS directory hierarchy resides, and the TeX files will
   David>      get installed in `/DIR/tex/latex/preview/'.

   David>      If you use the `--without-texmf-dir' option, the TeX-related
files
   David>      will be kept in the Emacs Lisp tree, and at runtime the
   David>      `TEXINPUTS' environment variable will be made to point there.
You
   David>      can install those files into your own TeX tree at some later time
   David>      with `M-x preview-install-styles RET'.

I know this part of the INSTALL file. BTW  how is the variable
TEXIMPUTS set at runtime?

   David> Since an XEmacs package has to be contained within the Emacs Lisp
   David> tree, you need to use that option, and that's exactly what the
   David> "xemacs-package" target in Makefile.in does.

But it uses configure!