Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: 11.82; preview-latex incompatible with e-TeX's "-

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: 11.82; preview-latex incompatible with e-TeX's "-file-line-error" option
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:56:06 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2006-04-26) writes:
>
>> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> When I looked at the respective preview-latex function I was a bit
>>> concerned about the specific code for preview error messages.  Maybe
>>> it is enough to just activated them conditionally in the regexp.
>>> But for that to understand I'd have to look deeper into the matter.
>>
>> The preview-latex specific code gets analyzed with a separate regular
>> expression.
>
> You mean the "\\(?:Preview\\|Package Preview Error\\): Snippet" stuff?
> Besides that branch of the `if' clause there is other preview-specific
> stuff interspersed in the function as well, like calls to
> `preview-place-preview' or `preview-log-error', some
> fast-hook/slow-hook stuff etc., which I'd have to understand before
> trying to factor it out.

Ugh.  Uhm.  I guess that would probably be too much to factor out,
actually.

> BTW, what is `TeX-translate-via-list' good for?  Grepping through
> the AUCTeX sources will only find a single occurence of it.

If you put a property like that on a function added to
TeX-translate-location-hook, then it gets called with completely
different arguments, and with all errors at once in a list.

This is used in X-Symbol to make it work much much faster with
preview-latex than going by the default translation.

It would not make sense to use this with AUCTeX's current mode of
operation, namely just searching for the next error at any given time.

If we want to fold AUCTeX's manner of operation at one time closer
into comint-mode and normal Emacs error processing, this might become
more relevant.