Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Cross-references in changes.texi

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Cross-references in changes.texi
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 21:50:55 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2006-06-02) writes:
>
>> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hm, I'm not sure `TeX-doc' fits into the "Running TeX and friends"
>>> category.  It's not really part of the typesetting cycle.
>>
>> Ah, but it is running a friend of TeX...
>
> Which the user ideally should not notice.  It's designed to work
> transparently with different backends.

What does that mean?

>>> I guess we should explain the prefix argument as well if we present
>>> `TeX-clean' as a function (in contrast to a part of
>>> `TeX-command-list'.)
>>
>> Actually, the release process is currently in a state where I'd not be
>> overly enthused to roll back.  Feel free to check in improvements but
>> don't move tags, or things might get messy.
>
> Last time I had to use `cvs tag -d <tag>' this was rather painless and
> not messy at all.
>
> Of course Reiner and you would have to throw away the tarballs
> already generated.

And clean up my release directory and rebuild the XEmacs package and
if Reiner has done any testing or building of the RPM, this would have
to be repeated.  And moving tags when built tarballs are already being
swapped around is a nuisance.  And then I have to send the stuff again
into Reiners mailbox and hope that he or his mail program do not mix
up the different versions I sent him.

It's not like Reiner has not mentioned the docs several days ago
already.

I can't speak for him.  If you think it really desirable, I can still
do the procedure again.  If I did, I would also mention in the RELEASE
file exactly what formats will be available from our download site
(after tagging and sending the tarball off I found that information
rather vague).

So if you think it really worthwhile, holler.