[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Quoting problems.

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Quoting problems.
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 19:36:55 +0200

* David Kastrup (2006-07-25) writes:

> in font-latex.el we have:
>
> (defcustom font-latex-quotes 'auto
>   "Whether to fontify << French quotes >> or >>German quotes<<.
> Also selects \"<quote\"> versus \">quote\"<.
>
> If value `auto' is chosen, an attempt is being made in deriving
> the type of quotation mark matching from document settings like
> the language option supplied to the babel package."
>   :type '(choice (const auto) (const french) (const german))
>   :group 'font-latex)
> (put 'font-latex-quotes 'safe-local-variable
>      '(lambda (x) (memq x '(auto french german))))
>
> Why is there no setting "nil"?

Which semantics would such a setting have?  `font-latex-quotes'
currently tells font-latex which type of guillemets is used.
Consequently a setting of nil would mean to disable fontification of
guillemets and leave fontification of other quotes activated.
However, this seems kind of useless.  But disabling fontification of
any quote by means of this variable seems inconsistent.

> Anyway, I got to dig around with this because fontifying goes all
> haywire in a class file which has:
>
> [...]
>
> \protected\def\<address@hidden
> \WithSuffix\def\<<address@hidden

Uhh, I thought multi-char macros can only consist of address@hidden  There
is quite some code in AUCTeX relying on this assumption.

> Starting from the  \WithSuffix\def\>>, everything goes haywire in
> quotation font.

That's fixed in CVS.