Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Quoting problems.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Quoting problems.
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 19:49:29 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2006-07-25) writes:
>
>> in font-latex.el we have:
>>
>> (defcustom font-latex-quotes 'auto
>>   "Whether to fontify << French quotes >> or >>German quotes<<.
>> Also selects \"<quote\"> versus \">quote\"<.
>>
>> If value `auto' is chosen, an attempt is being made in deriving
>> the type of quotation mark matching from document settings like
>> the language option supplied to the babel package."
>>   :type '(choice (const auto) (const french) (const german))
>>   :group 'font-latex)
>> (put 'font-latex-quotes 'safe-local-variable
>>      '(lambda (x) (memq x '(auto french german))))
>>
>> Why is there no setting "nil"?
>
> Which semantics would such a setting have?

No quote fontification.

> `font-latex-quotes' currently tells font-latex which type of
> guillemets is used.  Consequently a setting of nil would mean to
> disable fontification of guillemets and leave fontification of other
> quotes activated.  However, this seems kind of useless.

Why?  If documents don't use guillemets and the fontification gets
garbled, why not have a way to turn it off?  Why is the variable
called font-latex-quotes if it really only works on guillemets?

> But disabling fontification of any quote by means of this variable
> seems inconsistent.

Then its name might be not the best choice.  Both name and doc string
imply that it is suppsed to work on any quotes.

>> Anyway, I got to dig around with this because fontifying goes all
>> haywire in a class file which has:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> \protected\def\<address@hidden
>> \WithSuffix\def\<<address@hidden
>
> Uhh, I thought multi-char macros can only consist of address@hidden

They do.

> There is quite some code in AUCTeX relying on this assumption.

This is like \chapter*: the real macro is called \<, but if it is
called with a suffix of < following it, the \WithSuffix definition
gets used.

suffix.sty is a fun little style file...

>> Starting from the  \WithSuffix\def\>>, everything goes haywire in
>> quotation font.
>
> That's fixed in CVS.

Thanks.