Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: pdfopen not returning

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: pdfopen not returning
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 22:58:03 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2006-08-18) writes:
>
>> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

>>> That would work if we wanted to open the viewer only but not in
>>> combination with texify where we need to look at the output.  But
>>> probably we shouldn't look at texify's output anyway because this
>>> might ultimately be output from bibtex or makeinfo as well which the
>>> TeX-related process filter cannot cope with. *sigh*
>>
>> Well, I don't think it would get confused much.
>
> Which brings us back to the original problem that it does not return
> if pdfopen is called after texify when being used with TeX-run-TeX.

Which should tell us that we should at some point of time implement
command chains executed under the control of AUCTeX instead of an
inferior shell.  Or we start the TeX command with pdfclose, and make
the View command pdfopen.  People will still have to start their
viewer like before, but at least pdflatex will not bomb out because of
this abomination of an operating system's file handling.