Re: [AUCTeX-devel] AUC-TeX and TeXLive banners

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] AUC-TeX and TeXLive banners
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 08:06:49 +0100

Ivan Andrus <address@hidden> writes:

Hi!

>> I wonder why the following has not been reported yet.
>> I'm working with emacs (trunk) and AUC-TeX (CVS)
>> and TeXLive (latest version) under Windows.
>> The TeXLive banners read like this :
>>
>> Running `LaTeX' on `parametric-agents' with ``pdflatex --synctex=1
>> -interaction=nonstopmode "\input" "parametric-agents.tex"'' This is
>> pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.4-1.40.13 (TeX Live 2012/W32TeX) (for the
>> W32 version). Whenever I ask for TeX-next-error, AUC-TeX tries to
>> parse an error on the banner because of the '(TeX Live 2012/W32TeX)'
>> part.
>
> Depending on what you mean, this has been seen before.  If you mean
> that AUCTeX thinks that line is an error, then I have no idea.  It
> doesn't do that for me.

Neither for me.  I also use TeXLive 2012.

> If there is a real error in your file, but it opens up a *TeX Live
> 2012* buffer instead of the actual file then this has been observed by
> me and many other people (e.g. on Stack Overflow [1]).  It's due to
> misparsing the output of TeX (or the output itself being misleading),
> and can be largely (though not wholly) eliminated by using the
> -file-line-error-style flag to latex.

Yes, that's likely the culprit.  I've set

  % Control file:line:error style messages.
  file_line_error_style = t

in /etc/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf, and then the AUCTeX error parsing works
as expected.

If you have a different problem, could you please post the complete log
being parsed?