Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Feature request for docTeX mode: extend \changes and

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Feature request for docTeX mode: extend \changes and \begin{macro}...\end{macro}
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 09:23:22 +0100

Markus Kohm <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> first of all, many thanks for the excellent work. Nevertheless, two
> extensions
> would be nice:
>
> 1st date-default of \changes:
> docTeX mode offers support for \changes macro. When C-m chan RET asks
> for the
> date, it would be nice to have the current date instead of the empty
> one to be the default.

Sounds reasonable, though the format should likely be 2013/02/28 instead
of whatever local date, right?

> 2nd \end{macro} with additional comment:
> I often have constructs like:
>
>   % \begin{macro}{\foo1}
>   % \begin{macro}{\foo2}
>   % \end{macro}
>   % \begin{macro}{\foo3}
>   % \begin{macro}{\foo4}
>   % \end{macro}
>   % \end{macro}
>   % \end{macro}
>
> The ... may be several dozens of lines and many more pairs of
> \begin{macro}...
> \end{macro} may be nested. In such cases, it is often not easy to see,
> which
> \end{macro} corresponds with which \begin{macro}. Therefore I usually use:
>
>   % \begin{macro}{\foo1}
>   % \begin{macro}{\foo2}
>   % \end{macro}^^A \foo2
>   % \begin{macro}{\foo3}
>   % \begin{macro}{\foo4}
>   % \end{macro}^^A \foo4
>   % \end{macro}^^A \foo2
>   % \end{macro}^^A \foo1
>
> It would be nice, if auxtex would add the "^^A \..." comment on it's own,
> while using C-e macro RET. Same for environment "environment".

I quite disagree here since such comments tend to become out of sync
with reality when changing materials.  Instead, AUCTeX should calculate
and display (in an unobtrusive manner/place) the respective information
on the fly and not place it in the buffer.

--
David Kastrup