Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Enhancement for brace pairing

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Enhancement for brace pairing
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 10:00:56 +0200

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> (Oh, now I've just seen that git commit has an --author=... option to
>>> specify the author explicitly.  Sorry, I didn't know that, and now
>>> the commit is already pushed, so too late to --amend.)
>>
>> If you coached the Patch submission and checked it, you might also (in
>> addition to --author) use the -s option for "signing off" on the
>> patch.
>
> Ok, good suggestion.
>
>> That leaves at least a tangible impression of who looked over the
>> patch in case the question "who was ok with this ever being pushed in
>> this state" arrives
>
> Can I read out of that statement that you are not satisfied with the
> state of the patch?

No, I haven't looked at it at all.  This was just explaining the
procedure.

Part of a system of Git is to make it feasible to trace histories and
accountabilities.  Once you use --author, you are pretty much
_invisible_ to Git's record.  Basically, you can push patches acting as
a clerk (where the other person is not able to push for mostly technical
reasons but considered reliable to act responsibly on his own) or as a
warden.  In the latter case, signing off will help you (and possibly
others) remember that you have shared responsibility for the outcome.

--
David Kastrup