[AUCTeX-devel] Override autodetection of biblatex backend

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Override autodetection of biblatex backend
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 01:00:09 +0200

Hi folks,

I believe we have the best Biber/BibTeX management among all TeX
editor: the user only needs to enable parsing to make AUCTeX selects
for him/her the right backend.  AFAIK, AUCTeX is, for the time being,
the only editor to be able to automatically guess the biblatex
backend.

But, you know, parsing isn't bulletproof and currently we haven't a
way to override the autodetection of the backend.  Attached you can
find a patch to accomplish this: the variable
`LaTeX-biblatex-use-Biber' has been restored (actually I'm not sure
it's a good idea to use the same name of an old and slightly different
variable, other suggestions are welcome) and when it's set locally it
overrides the autodetection of the backend.

My only concern is that we still can't manually select the appropriate
backend when parsing isn't enabled.  Should we also set
`LaTeX-using-Biber' inside `LaTeX-mode-hook'?  Maybe something like
(setq LaTeX-using-Biber
      (if (local-variable-p 'LaTeX-biblatex-use-Biber)
      LaTeX-biblatex-use-Biber))
without further checks.

What do you think?