Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [MaC?] (was: 11.87, some progress, problems with syn

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [MaC?] (was: 11.87, some progress, problems with synctex and forward pdf search)
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 11:24:58 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Uwe,

>>> "Tassilo" == Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:
>
>    > Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:
>    > Hi Mosè,
>

>    >>
>    >> My idea is as follows:
>    >> - convert `TeX-source-correlate-method-active' into a function;
>    >> - leave `TeX-source-correlate-determine-method' as it is now, at least
>    >> I don't think it will be necessary to change it as I proposed last
>    >> year;
>    >> - add the alist above to the possible values of `TeX-source-correlate-
method';
>    >> - adapt `TeX-source-correlate-mode'.
>    >>
>    >> But a patch is worth a thousand words, see the one attached.
>    >>
>    >> I believe a safe default for `TeX-source-correlate-method' would be
>    >> '((dvi . source-specials) (pdf . synctex))
>    >> which is compatible with most viewers, instead of the current 'auto.
>
> While I perfectly understand you former patch, I right now do not see
> the advantage for your new approach. Besides, are you sure it does not
> break backwards-compatibility???

I just added another possible value, I don't see how this can break backward
compatibility: an old customization of `TeX-source-correlate-method' will still
work.  What is broken is the forward compatibility.

Anyway, in the news for the 11.88 there will be an extensive list of new,
changed, and removed customizable variables, to help people upgrade from
previous versions.

> Another even more important issue: different OS.
>
> I never really have used LateX on windows so I can't say anything.
> Recently I had to deal with a Mac, OS Lion with MacPorts. This is almost
> a linux-like environment (there is texlive and okular, which right now
> does not work for me and evince (and of course xpdf,  but this seems not
> appropriate for forward+inverse search).
>
> So it boils down to this: which configuration (viewer) should be used
> for Mac?

Are you talking about the viewer or of the best value of `TeX-source-correlate-
method'?  In the development version of AUCTeX there has been this change http:
//git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/auctex.git/commit/?
id=1d0d1ac642e1acc6db859458dfcb7a151d657ac1 which sets the default Mac OS
viewers.