Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Support for expl3

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Support for expl3
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 14:10:15 +0200

Hi Sean,

> Thanks for everything so far, guys. Simply being able to correctly jump
> around by token is a great help :)
>
> Building off of what was provided here, I’ve taken the liberty of adding some
> font-locking with the help of the awesome folks over at Emacs.SE. I’ve
> attached an ‘updated’ expl3.el to this email (I can’t get git-diff to
> cooperate, for some reason). I abstracted the anonymous hook-function into a
> named function (that’s still added as a hook). In this function, I’ve added
> font-locking for regular expression variables I set just above it.

Thanks for the contribution, looks promising!

> I would welcome any feedback / suggestions as I hope to have this included in
> the official distribution.

As David already remembered, you and anyone sensibly helped you must
sign copyright assignments for the style file to be included in
AUCTeX.

> However, I worry that a simple style file might not be enough for no-joking
> expl3 editing support: In addition to a different highlighting scheme, there
> is at least one input difference that causes concern. The way to input a
> literal space in expl3 is to use `~` – in the past, I’ve used my own
> poor-man’s minor mode to control whether SPC inserts a space or a tilde.
> (When writing error messages, you like to include as many helpful words as
> you can – all of these words are separated by these literal spaces (~).) Gets
> a little tedious with the shift key and all (on US-English keyboards).

A minor mode hooked into AUCTeX may be indeed the solution: you
activate it when you want to write expl3 code, turn it off to come
back to write good ol' LaTeX code.

> There may very well be those actually on the project who disagree with me
> (and I’ve raised the question in the TeX StackExchange chatroom [1]), but I
> think it may be appropriate to add expl3 as a separate TeX dialect. In an
> ideal world, no expl3 code will appear in LaTeX documents – it should be
> gathered together in its own file. Would a patch to remove the style file and
> use dialects be welcome? (I haven’t ever messed with different dialects in
> AUCTeX, but I’m willing to learn.)

How do you think a separate dialect would be helpful?