Re: [AUCTeX-devel] RFC: Extending array.el to parse \newcolumntype

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] RFC: Extending array.el to parse \newcolumntype
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 21:36:24 +0200

Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Mosè,

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have extended `array.el' and now it parses user defined column types
>> and adds them to `LaTeX-array-column-letters'.  I would appreciate if
>> somebody could give it a roll before I make a proper submission.
>
> Thanks for the patch, but... well... it doesn't work if cl hasn't been
> previously loaded (at least in GNU Emacs with cl-* named functions).
> We could alias `delete-duplicates' to `cl-delete-duplicates' if the
> former is void and the latter is bound, but I'm not sure this is the
> best option.  We've always striven to avoid loading `cl' at runtime, I
> don't think this case is worth of breaking this rule.

Thanks for looking at this.  I must have been dreaming as I looked at
the docs of `delete-duplicates' which is clearly a function and not a
macro :-[

> If there is no chance to use `delete-duplicates', another possibility
> is the following:
>
> (mapconcat 'identity
>        (TeX-delete-duplicate-strings (split-string LETTERS "")) "")

Thanks, I will investigate.

> I would update `LaTeX-array-column-letters' only if
> `(LaTeX-array-column-letters)' non-nil:

[...]

> In the body of the lambda of `newcolumntype' argument, I think you can
> replace the whole `set' with `(LaTeX-array-auto-cleanup)'.

Thanks for your comments.  I will include them in a new suggestion; I'm
thinking about a general function and update `tabularx.el' and
`tabulary.el' at the same time.

Best, Arash