From: Uwe Brauer
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2015 16:39:30 +0000

On 09/03/2015 11:49 AM, Tassilo Horn wrote:
Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

> I strongly recommend to include the code in Auctex, maybe with a
> additional variable, something like this

It's far from perfect.  For example, if you have some spurious ^ or _
somewhere in your text (not in some math) you won't see it at all.  And
AUCTeX's font-latex does not raise/lower scripts on multiple levels,
e.g., with x^y^z the y and the z have the same size and are equally
raised.  If the ^ were not displayed, you couldn't see that the z is a
superscript.

x-symbol couldn't deal with nested subscripts neither, however it used a different font
for the sub-superscripts, but I think I could live with this restriction in GNU emacs,
since nested subscripts I don't have that often.

Anyway, to make you happy I've just implemented that feature in an
improved way.  `font-latex-fontify-script' used to be a plain boolean
option, now it has two new possible values:

  - `multi-level': raise/lower scripts recursively like stock
    tex-mode.el

  - `invisible': also do the multi-level raising/lowering and hide the
    script chars altogether (and only in math text)

to clarify: I could download the latest checkin via
git clone http://git.savannah.gnu.org/r/auctex.git

(I made a mistake in my last message) but
git pull
gives an error I reported.

Be it as it may, Tassilo could you please tell me how should I activate the new setting?
If needed I promise to write an entry to the Manual.

thanks

Uwe