Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Changing TeX-doc?

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Changing TeX-doc?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 13:27:53 +0100

Hi all,

I'm (very!) slowly sorting out some old discussions, now I'm back to
simplification of the function for searching documentation.

My proposal is to keep `TeX-doc' as it is (maybe someone likes it, but
to be honest I don't) and define a new, much much simpler function
bound to "C-c ?" in place of it:

(defun TeX-documentation-texdoc ()
  "Run texdoc to read documentation."
  (interactive)
  (message
   (shell-command-to-string
    (concat "texdoc --view "
        (TeX-read-string "View documentation for: "
                 (thing-at-point 'symbol))))))

Ideas about the name are welcome :-)

This function gets the symbol at point and uses it as initial input
for `read-string', then simply runs "texdoc --view <given-string>", no
more, as suggested also by Arash.  I think it's fast and effective.

A possible improvement could be to offer the list of alternatives, as
"texdoc --list" does, when calling the function with a prefix
argument.  I tried to call "texdoc --list <string>" with `comint-exec'
but it doesn't start the viewer, I suspect there is something wrong in
`texdoc' (or in its interaction with `comint-exec') because other
programs run with `comint-exec' are able to start external programs.
Thus, I think we should parse "Data.tlpdb.lua" as suggested by
Nicolas.  Anyway, I'd add this feature later.

Other suggestions?  Objections against taking over "C-c ?"?