Re: [AUCTeX-devel] On TeX-newline

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] On TeX-newline
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 15:46:16 +0200

Hi alex,

> Hi Mosè,
>
>> electric-indent-mode came into Emacs only with version 24.1, AUCTeX
>> supports Emacs down to version 21.1.
>
> Ah, right. Though in this case I don't believe a solution would break
> backwards compatibility. Switching `funcall` to `call-interactively`
> would solve the main issue, which is the electric indentation.

So just replacing "funcall" with "call-interactively" would make it
work with `electric-indentation-mode' out-of-the-box?  I'm asking
because I don't use that mode.

>> it's more comfortable to customize an option than to rebind a key
>> for inexperienced users
>
> I wouldn't say it's harder with pure elisp, but if one was only using
> the customize interface then I'd agree. It looks like the manual
> doesn't mention define-key for anything, so perhaps it's not worth
> changing in that way.

Yes, I had people using only customize interface in mind, of course
more advanced users can cook their own Elisp code but we try to assume
as little Elisp knowledge as possible for our users.