Re: [AUCTeX-devel] problem loading auctex 11.89 in OS X

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] problem loading auctex 11.89 in OS X
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 22:00:18 +0200

Hi Artemio,

> I am trying to update from auctex 11.88 (which worked well) to 11.89.
> Unfortunately, auctex 11.89 fails to load, with the following error message:
>
> File mode specification error: (void-variable LaTeX-preview-setup)
>
> This happens even with the following minimal .emacs file:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/Library/Application Support/Emacs/lisp")
> (load "auctex.el" nil t t)
> (load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)
>
> (I have auctex installed in ~/Library/Application Support/Emacs/). And it
> happens both with Emacs 22.3.1 (carbon) and Emacs 22.5.95.1 (cocoa).
>
> Does anybody know what could be amiss?

Not really.  Did you do a clean installation of AUCTeX?  After 11.88
we changed something in the organization of the code of AUCTeX and all
preview-related files have been moved to top-directory, if you didn't
do a clean installation you may have duplicate files.  If you were
able to use 11.88 without problems, I'd expect that also 11.89 works
flawless.

I saw that you use Emacs 25, there you can install AUCTeX from ELPA:

    M-x package-install RET auctex RET

and you're done (note that you must *not* have anything in your init
file loading AUCTeX in this case, it's done automatically by the
package manager).