Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Next release?

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Next release?
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 09:05:44 +0000

   > Hi Mosè,
   > Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:

   > I've just pushed my pending patches to git.  One thing still open is my
   > suggestion here:

   > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex-devel/2016-10/msg00004.html

   > There was no response to it, so I assume it was ok :-)  I'm not sure if
   > it still applies cleanly to Emacs.  If you (and others) think it is ok,
   > I would prepare a new patch and ping Tassilo.

   > +1 :-)

   > While we're at it, do we want to review our compat policy?  XEmacs was
   > supposed to go in a maintenance mode, but the way I see it, it seems to
   > be gone (and that is a pity!).  Homepage is mirrored here[1], source
   > seems to be here[2].

 www.xemacs.org is back! There are still activities on bitbucket, mainly
 by Aidan. Here is a excerpt from hg log -G

   changeset:   6015:c923fa845ead
|  tag:         tip
|  user:        Aidan Kehoe <address@hidden>
|  date:        Tue Dec 27 21:14:40 2016 +0000
|  summary:     Fix a bug, #'normalize-menu-text, test same.

o  changeset:   6014:8536eaf872cb
|  user:        Aidan Kehoe <address@hidden>
|  date:        Tue Dec 27 20:58:36 2016 +0000
|  summary:     Restore an errant parenthesis

o  changeset:   6013:cf4b30df9fd8
|  user:        Aidan Kehoe <address@hidden>
|  date:        Tue Dec 27 20:30:14 2016 +0000
|  summary:     Use (parse-integer ... :radix 16), not (string-to-number
(match-string ...) 16)

o  changeset:   6012:6eaf05a5b062
|  user:        Aidan Kehoe <address@hidden>
|  date:        Mon Dec 19 07:28:42 2016 +0000
|  summary:     Don't error on a circular list if END is specified,
#'write-sequence

That is of course not comparable to GNU emacs but still the project is
*not* dead. As David Kastrup pointed it out, xemacs is in a state
comparable to (plain) TeX: very few contributions, but not dead.

Also I switched for most of my work to GNU emacs, I still would like to
see that the Xemacs compat code would stay in auctex[1], till it really
caused trouble of course.

   > The same question would go for Emacs:

   > September 17, 2016 - Emacs 25.1 released

Footnotes:
[1]  I am still the xemacs auctex pkg provider, but since all the xemacs
     services were down till very recently, it did not make any sense to
     upgrade to the latest 11.89 (xemacs still uses auctex 11.87).