Re: reftex-default-bibliography: first local files then global ones

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: reftex-default-bibliography: first local files then global ones
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2020 14:10:23 +0100

>>> "AE" == Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Arash

> Hi Uwe,
> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>> When using bibtex+refte, I usually have one data base placed in my local
>> texmf tree
>> ,----
>> |
>> | reftex-default-bibliography is a variable defined in ‘reftex-vars.el’.
>> | Its value is ("/home/oub/texmf/bibtex/bib/bibgraf.bib")
>> | Original value was nil
>> `----
>>
>> However lately in collaboration (using mercurial) we end up having a
>> local bibfile (which sits in the main directory of the collaboration)
>> that is much smaller than my global one.
>>
>> It is not clear to me, reading the documentation of the variable
>> reftex-default-bibliography, how to configure it, so that it takes,
>> first the «local» bibfile and if there is none to take the global one.
>> Should I use the expression {.}  to indicate the local one?

> I'm not sure but maybe you're abusing the variable; doc-string says:

> In a LaTeX file, you probably have a \bibliography{..} macro and RefTeX
> should find your .bib file.  Check the section `Finding Files' in the
> manual if you need to RefTeX a hint[1].
Thanks.

My solution consists of adding the following local variables to the file

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-master: t
%%% TeX-output-dir: "./build"
%%% reftex-default-bibliography: (".")
%%% TeX-engine: xetex
%%% End:

This overwrite the variable reftex-default-bibliography

For this file, precisely what I was looking for.

Uwe