Re: Output to directory patch

From: Al Haji-Ali
Subject: Re: Output to directory patch
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 14:04:12 +0000

On 11/03/2021, Ikumi Keita wrote:
>> It does mean that TeX-master-output-dir would have to call
>> TeX-master-file to get the path of master, if the argument master-file
>> is not provided.
>
> Hmm, I have impression that the output of `TeX-master-output-dir' is
> actually used in buffers with `default-directory' set to master
> directory (e.g. process buffer). Thus I expect that it's only necessary
> for `TeX-master-output-dir' to output path relative to master directory.

Yes, you are right about the commands. But the complete path to an output file
might be needed if TeX-master-file is called with a nil `nondirectory`. In any
case, since I have access to the master filename, I can figure out the
directory without calling TeX-master-directory in TeX-master-output-dir.

I implemented those suggestions in my public repo (and rebased to master). Now,
TeX-output-dir is read locally and hence all subfiles must have it set
correctly to the same value (for example in as a directory-local variable
instead of file-local variable). I tested the case when TeX-output-dir has a
different value in the master- and sub-files and nothing seems to break;
TeX-output-dir is respected depending on where the build/view commands were
invoked.

Tassilo, can you kindly pull those changes again? Thank you.

Best regards,
-- Al