auctex

Re: AUCTeX does not ask for width for \includegraphics macro anymore

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: AUCTeX does not ask for width for \includegraphics macro anymore
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2023 23:56:04 +0100

Kourosh Kalayeh <kouroshm@umich.edu> writes:

> I start with `emacs -Q' followed by evaluating `(progn
> (package-initialize t) (package-activate 'auctex))'.  I then open my
> `beamer' LaTeX file and do `C-c RET', at this point I start typing
> `\includegraphics', I can autocomplete the macro with `Tab'.  Once I
> hit return, AUCTeX asks me for `(Optional) Overlay:', I hit return,
> then it ask for the `Image file' and that is it.  I am expecting to be
> asked for `width' after `Overlay' but that does not happen.

Thanks, now I understand what's happening.  beamer.el contain these
lines:

    '("includegraphics" [TeX-arg-beamer-overlay-spec]
      [TeX-arg-key-val (LaTeX-graphicx-key-val-options) nil nil ?\s]
      LaTeX-arg-includegraphics)

So it overrules the definition in graphicx.el by adding one more
optional argument which you see as '(Optional) Overlay:'.  Now you hit
return and this means that the optional argument is rejected.  With the
setup below:

> Its value is `'show-optional-args''.

You are not asked for the next optional argument which can contain
'width', and that's what you're looking for.  So you can set
`TeX-insert-macro-default-style' to `show-all-optional-args' and try it
again.

Best, Arash